As a thirteen year old, being overweight can be a nightmare. To few, you come across as cute however to the latter (including people you’d consider a “friend”) you are an outcast, someone who deserves to be shunned for their flaws and bullied to a point where you no longer feel comfortable in your own skin. Yes, I was bullied, called a “Pudge” (see image below)  , called “FAT” and “UGLY”. Why? Because I was an overweight teenager whose Grandmother insisted she stuffed her face everyday (out of love). Having severe oily, tanned and acne prone skin does not help much either as it gives them further reason to make fun of you, rather than trying to help you. I still think back and remember the hateful words my peers said to me.

How would you feel if you were compared to this creature?

Eventually, I couldn’t take it any longer. I refused to go to school and even skipped my finals because I did not feel comfortable with myself. I lost whatever confidence was left in me to the point that I would’t speak a word unless spoken to. I began binge eatingbbecause of anxiety. My self esteem was down to 0. The desire to do something about my weight and acne came from within, not because of the jokes but because I did not feel good about myself at all. I was ashamed as I was a grown up UK size 16 and weighed a whooping 70kgs at the age of 13, NOT OKAY.

Me before.

Being overweight does not only affect you psychologically but can further cause serious damage to your health, resulting in problems like PCOS and heart disease. It is VERY important to maintain a normal BMI (Body Mass Index, you can check yours online if you know your height and weight).

Further more, while I am a strong believer of the fact that “Imperfections are what make us unique”, why not do something about the acne? Having huge pimples, oily skin, uncountable black heads and a very uneven tan was not something that made me feel content about the way I looked.

Today this is what I look like:

Here’s what I did to tackle my problems:

• Get rid of all those fizzy drinks. They’re loaded with sugar and make you feel bloated. Instead, opt for fresh lemonade with some soda or even some squash. Fresh juices are also a great alternative (boxed juices are often made of concentrates which diminish the nutritional purposes of the fruit.)
  • Do not deprive yourself. It’s all about portion control and timing. While I really don’t recommend indulging in chocolate bars on a daily basis, allow yourself a cheat once in a while. Switch over from normal potato crisps to baked options that are not only lower in calories but also contain fewer saturated fats. Always carry a cut up fruit in a sandwich bag with you wherever you go incase you feel hungry.
  • Drink tons of water. Carry a bottle of water with you wherever you go, as this will encourage you to keep hydrated and stray away from other drinks.
  • Don’t cut out rice, bread and roti. Instead, control the portions. Either have half a roti, 4 tablespoons of rice or a slice of toasted whole wheat bread. Don’t go for “brown” bread but opt for something whole-wheat as the fiber content is higher, this prevents constipation.
  • Personally, I enjoy salads, as they are very refreshing. Fresh fruits and veggies are always best as they are most concentrated in vitamins and minerals when raw. If you aren’t a huge fan of raw salads, add in some boiled veggies to your meals.
  • There’s nothing I love more than pizza and not once did I deprive myself of it. Instead, whenever I crave a little bit of cheesy goodness I order it as a side with some grilled chicken and have a slice to go with it. This way I satisfy myself while also filling myself up with something less fattening. Opt for thin and crispy bases over deep pan, as they can be so chewy and oily.
  • Invest in a dermatologist (highly recommended) or a good skin care regime. Make sure to choose products that are meant for your skin type and allow time to see results. Always read up reviews before buying anything! For highly acne prone skin, I recommend Clean and Clear Exfoliating Daily Wash. It has micro-beads that thoroughly cleanse out all oil and leave feeling skin fresh and not so oily. However the face wash is quite drying, as are most products meant for acne. Also, go to your local dermatologist and have a consult. They can prescribe you a topical treatment that could help your condition. If you are not fond of taking medicines (as I am) tell them you’d like to opt for something topical and I’m sure they’d help you out! If you have milder acne, opt for a spot cream like Neutrogena On the spot: Acne Treatment or Oxy10.
  • Get active! Go to the mall for an hour-long walk while you window shop. Use the stairs rather than the elevator or escalator. Try to get as active as possible. I did not gym at all, instead focused on trying to be as active in my daily life as possible. I do not enjoy gyms and only began going lately due to boredom.
  • Find a partner (TRUST ME.) My mom was my partner and I cannot imagine getting through this transformation without her. She ate all the same meals as I did, encouraged me to stay on track, joined me when I exercised and the best bit, she made sure I NEVER bought junk food while grocery shopping. I mean if there’s no junk in your house, you’re not going to eat it and who knows, you might just encourage the rest of your family to lead a healthier lifestyle
  • Don’t give up! It took me a year to drop down to a size 12 and ever since I’ve maintained my weight. Today, I am a standard size S and fit into UK 10s/12s and that is NOT fat. My weight fluctuates between 50 to 55kgs, and with my height (5″4) that is what the ideal weight is as it falls in the normal BMI range.  You must be patient also with your skin care as nothing is really going to give you long lasting results overnight. Maintenance and perseverance is key.

Changing my diet and the level of activity generally improved not only my physique but has helped me regain a lot of the confidence that I had lost as a child. No, i’m not perfect. I still break out and have days when my jeans don’t fit me BUT I am content with the way I look.

Change must come from within, or it won’t last too long and it really won’t be worth it.I hope you guys find this post helpful as it is one that has a lot of personal value to me. If you need any further help leave a comment below or drop me an email through the contact form and I will surely be happy to help out!

Much love dolls.

Written by N
My name is Natasah but almost everyone refers to me as "Nat."​ I'm a social media junky with a knack for writing and midnight cleaning. When i'm not doing either of these things i'm usually cuddling my cat, Pashmak or binge watching TV shows on Netflix.

1. Beautorgeous World September 1, 2015 at 1:16 AM

Haven’t read it yet, excited to read , my bedtime story , tehe 🙂

• N September 2, 2015 at 1:07 AM

This one was especially for you. xo

2. Beautorgeous World September 1, 2015 at 1:28 AM

It is a really good read, u made a huge transformation MASHALLAH… so happy for u :)) I need to do the same , i m gaining weight day by day, i think i should be more active like you… and yesss kal se i am going to drink atleast 8 glasses of water.. thanku so much for this post ♡♡ Much love and power to you ♡♡

• N September 2, 2015 at 1:07 AM

Hehehe thank you Zehra <3 Give it a try and do it for yourself! Thank you so much for your support and kind words. I am humbled <3 xo

3. Dose of Glamour September 1, 2015 at 1:38 AM

Such an inspiration MashaAllah! Beautiful girl <3 It takes a whole lot of determination to achieve this. I am in awe honestly! Much love, x

• N September 2, 2015 at 1:06 AM

Thank you so so much love <3 :') <3 x

4. Hira September 1, 2015 at 1:42 AM

I wonder how they can call something that bad, The way you turned out to be is the big slap for them! 😡
    I follow all those points for 6 days 😕 and then comes sunday,😂 sunday means off and thats where i lose it 😂but your journey encauraged to not give up! Im on it now, ive never seen that huge transformation in my circle 👏👏

• N September 2, 2015 at 1:03 AM

People have nothing better to do than shun those who are weaker than them, however, they really should watch out because us weaker ones evolve ,don’t we? 😉
      Sunday is cheat day!! Go all out 😛 (I most certainly do!). But then remember to always get back on track on Monday otherwise you won’t really enjoy your cheat day the most.

Thank you for your kind words bubz <3

5. Isma Munir September 1, 2015 at 4:55 AM

Ahh! I’m so much impressed Natasah! xx

6. Areeba September 1, 2015 at 2:18 PM

I’m vvvvv proud to read this, Natasha! You worked on yourself and you’re a gem now, mashaAllah 🙂

7. zahra syed September 1, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Wow…nice transform…you are such an inspiration …MashaAllah

• N September 2, 2015 at 12:59 AM

Thank you Zahra <3 You are too kind!

8. Sania Wasif September 1, 2015 at 6:51 PM

this is great .. I really go with the tip getting active , i am now outside Pak and small house hold chores drop my weight incredibly.. Masha Allah .. thanks to Allau

• N September 2, 2015 at 12:59 AM

Living abroad actually makes you a whole lot more active because you have to do most of the chores yourself without any helpers! Good luck with your journey love <3 Thank you for dropping by!

9. Amie Cadwallader September 4, 2015 at 10:20 PM

What incredible progress, and you looked beautiful in both photos, but you have come so far and you should be proud of yourself!

Love, Amie ❤

The Curvaceous Vegan

• N September 6, 2015 at 2:32 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement Amie <3 xo

10. Rafia shirwani September 9, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Helpful post..same thing happening with me..em 22 years old married women..I em pco’s patient. . em gaining weight slowly gradually from the age of my weight is 86 ..u can easily understand how u feel when your cousin making fun of u..kui dressing jb appy achi ni lgy..apki size ki jeans ni milay..especially when u look older then your husband . Phr shadead depression hti hy…worst thong is i can’t concave due to over weight. .em so depressed..don’t know kia hashar huga mera!!

11. Ana Ali September 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM

OMG I mean WOW you go girl.. you were so cute back then and now an ultimate hottie <3<3 proud of ya

• N September 14, 2015 at 2:46 AM

Hehehe Thank you Anila :’) <3 Muchlove xo

12. Rabiya jehangir September 11, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Maa sha Allah what a transformation you look more younger now 🙂 this post is v v helpful people like me who are too lazy urrghhh (jo sirf sochte hain yeh krain gy wo krn gy but sab kal pe chor daitay)
    I hate your shool fellow or whoever called you with those bad words :@
    Much love xx

• N September 14, 2015 at 2:45 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thank you cutie!!!! Im also so lazy… but thing is say I’ll do it from today because umm well tomorrow never really comes now does it 😛 <3 xo N

13. Shaima Rehmani September 13, 2015 at 8:03 AM

You Rock Girl! I Know The Feel once i was bullied too but reason was something Else..Then One Day I Looked Into The Mirror And I Was LIKE OMG!i should take care of Myself 3 years later I Was Fabulouly Awesome..those who bullied were shocked And asked for friendship hand hheh :’)

• N September 14, 2015 at 2:43 AM